Thursday, September 23, 2010

It’s Always Sunny in San Diego


I’m supposed to be saving money for my big upcoming trip, but when I saw that Virgin had a deal for $65 round trip tickets to San Diego, I couldn’t resist. You can’t even rent a car and drive to wine country for that much money! My friends and I jumped on the deal for Labor Day weekend and went in search of some summer weather. We were all first timers, so while we spent quite a bit of time at the beach soaking up the sun, we tried to get a good sampling of the sites as well. We stayed in the famous Gaslamp District and explored out from there- Balboa Park, Coronado Island, a Padres baseball game … it was a full weekend.


All three of us are architects, so the trip wouldn’t have been complete without some nerdy field trips to the Salk Institute & the Neuroscience Institute- both stunning works of art that every architect drools over. Along the way, we also ran across the parasailing club in La Jolla. We watched them literally run off the cliff and then float above the waves. It looked like the best roller coaster ride you could possibly imagine. I was so close to signing up, but had to hold back and save my money for Nepal. Yet another thing to add to my bucket list.




As much as we enjoyed the city, I don’t think any of us will be moving there anytime soon. We experienced some pretty extreme culture shock when we went out for drinks. Let’s just say there’s a dress code that we were completely unaware of. If you’re a girl, you should find the smallest amount of fabric you can, then wrap it as tightly around your body as possible. There should be nothing left to the imagination. And I’m not talking about just a couple of girls, but every girl. I’ve never felt like such a prude in my life. Then again, in this case, I was totally ok with that. It made me miss the anything goes, crazy fashion sense in San Francisco, at least there’s variety to appreciate.


Other more exciting discoveries included, but were not limited to, chocolate banana pancakes bigger than your head, the greatest pose in the world, and Egyptian walking through hotels made in the 1800's. A fun time was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment