Thursday, September 2, 2010

Habitat for Humanity Nepal


My trip is coming up fast! I'm starting to get things in order and the anticipation is really starting to build. I just got the construction manual today that goes into great detail about the methods we'll be using to build the homes, their layouts, etc. We'll be using local materials like bamboo that gets woven to create the structure of the walls. It's then plastered over, painted with bright colors, and decorated to welcome the new family. Since it's a blitz build, we will also be using some power tools to make the work go faster. Most of those types of tools are not readily available in Nepal, so our team has divided up each of the items and agreed to share the load. Fortunately, I didn't get stuck with a circular saw in my backpack (I'm not sure how well that goes over with airport security), but there are a few unfortunate souls that did.

No comments:

Post a Comment